HTPC, which stands for Home Theater PC, is becoming a popular trend in the field of home entertainment. The integration of the PC, or Laptop, with a home theater and an HDTV promises a better-than-ever audio-video experience. That, however, is only if you know how to build one, and set it up for optimum performance. This ultimate HTPC guide will familiarize you with some of the basics of HTPC, ways to build an HTPC right from scratch, and what components you should use. Also, there is a buyers guide to help you pick up the best branded HTPC system, and help adding some extra functionality to your existing Home Theater PC.
If youre new to the concept of Home Theater PCs, the very first question on your mind would be, “What is an HTPC?” In the simplest of words, an HTPC is the integration of a home theater with a PC to provide a more wholesome audio and video experience. Surely, that one line explanation isnt enough to explain it all. So, we have here a compilation of articles that will fully explain the concept of HTPC in detail. They will also answer one of the more frequently heard questions, “What distinguishes an HTPC from a regular PC?”
If youre not sure whether an HTPC really makes for the right choice, well also update you on the wonderful benefits of having such an integrated system. When youre convinced about setting up an HTPC, the first thing youll need to look at is your existing CPU to see whether it has the capabilities required for the extended performance. More information on this can be found on the last link.
- What is an HTPC? HTPC vs. PC The Advantages of a Home Theater PC HTPC Demands: What CPU Do I Need?
Building Your Own
There is certainly no dearth of HTPCs in the market, but building one on your own can be much more fun. Besides, the avid advantages include the option that it comes out to be cheaper, and you can totally custom-built it to your needs. Weve got loads of information here on how to assemble a Home Theater PC right from scratch. For most of us, budget is usually the biggest constraint, so weve also put together some great ideas on keeping the whole project affordable and within budget. If youre environment-conscious, and would want to build an HTPC that is low on power consumption, weve got an article on that, too. Finally, dont forget to read about the software setup part of the project, because its the software thats going to make it all work.
- Building a Home Theater PC Putting Together a HTPC Desktop How to Make Your Own Home Theater PC Case Creating an Affordable Home Theater PC with TV and Radio Features Budget HTPC: Learn How to Do HTPC on a Budget Building a Low Power Consumption HTPC Connecting a HTPC Computer to a Home Theater Receiver via SPDIF HTPC Software Setup Tips: Create Your Perfect Home Theater Experience
Buying Components to Build Your HTPC
The most important consideration at the time of building a Home Theater PC is the choice of components that should go into it. To begin with, youll need an HTPC case. There are a lot of available options here ATX, ITX, Fanless cases, etc. Read through our buyer recommendations, and youll have a better idea of which HTPC case is ideal for you. Once youre done choosing the case, you can continue reading the buyer guides on other significant components, like motherboards, video cards and sound cards. Ultimately, the performance of your HTPC will depend on the components you choose, so learn in detail about each component to make an informed buying decision.
- Top 3 HTPC Cases Buying Guide and Recommendations: Mini ITX & ATX Home Theater Computer Casing Slimming Down: The Best Slim HTPC Enclosures Buying Guide and Recommendations: Home Theater Computer Fanless Case Finding the Best Motherboard for Your HTPC Project Good HTPC Sound Cards Top 3 Video Cards for HTPCs Best AGP Video Card for an HDTV What Is the Best HTPC Remote?
While building your own HTPC certainly has its unique advantages, there is no denying that building one is a lot of work and maybe its not something meant for everyone to do. Also, if budget is not a constraint, but time is, buying a commercial HTPC makes more sense. The market is full of Home Theater PCs and laptops – each with its own respective advantages and disadvantages. Here are comparative analysis and reviews on some of the best performing Home Theater PCs and Laptops.
- Top 4 Home Theater PCs Comparing HTPC Manufacturers Top Home Theater Laptop Computers Conserve Power with These Energy Efficient HTPCs
Getting More Out of Your HTPC
Who doesnt love a bit extra? How about extending the reach of your HTPC to a Blu-Ray Player; or using an HDTV as a monitor. Or, why not make your HTPC act as a central media server for the entire home? There are endless possibilities to get more out of your existing HTPC. Here are a couple of good places to get started.
- How to Select an HDTV for Use as a PC Monitor Turning your PC into a Blu-Ray Player Creating a Great HTPC Media Server
If youve read through each and every piece of information offered through this ultimate HTPC guide, you probably won’t have any problem setting up your Home Theater PC, and experiencing a whole new world of entertainment. Nonetheless, if you feel weve missed out on something important, or there is something that could make a good addition to this guide, leave a comment below. Also, be sure to go ahead and bookmark the article to return for more information.